[FSF-India] What goes in

Satyakam Goswami fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 00:34:23 +0530 (IST)

> Hi,
>

>> Their are four uses of computer in Schools
>
> 	Very interesting classification indeed. Essentially,
>
>> 1. Tools - word processors,email clients,browsers etc
>> 2. Learning aid - multimedia, simulation stuff etc
>> 3. Development - compilers etc
>> 4. Automation tool
>
> 	As I said earlier, I think this topic deserves a separate
> thread. I've taken the liberty of strting this one. As a first shot, I'd
> suggest the following stuff:
>
> Tools
> ------
> 	1. Open Office, Emacs, Vim
> 	2. Evolution, Pine(?), Mutt
> 	3. Netscape(?), Konqueror, Lynx, Opera
Mozilla

> Learning Aids
> --------------
> 	1. Scilab
> 	2. Gnuplot
>
> 	Really dont know what to put here. Any suggestions??
>
> 	Learning reminds me, we need to put in a lot of docs. Probably a
> few guides like the SAG, installation guide, a few good HOW-TOs etc.

Whole of the LDP ,this will go on the intranet.

> Development
> ------------
> 	1. K-Develop
> 	2. All the typical compilers/interpreters anyone would ever want
> 		C,C++,Perl,Python,PHP ....
pascal is widely used, cobal too..
> 	3. JDK
> 	4. Forte4Java from Sun - IDE for developing GUI based Java progs
i think we can find better alternative than that Free Ones  i mean.

> Automation tools
> -----------------
> 	No idea again .... suggestions please!!
what automation tools are we talkin about here...

> Plus, Ofcourse
> ---------------
> 	* Apache
> 	* MySQL/Postgres - I use MySQL and I love it
Mysql with uncertain future and licensing issues we better avoid it.
> 	* XMMS
> 	* Everybuddy
> 	* Obviously, GNOME + KDE - but, which versions?? Ximian and KDE
> 	  2.0 are both *very* resource hungry and we're talking of schools with
> 	  slow computers. What should be done ?
blackbox,fvwm or windowmaker

> 	Let's pile up the list of softwares. If you think there's
> something in the list above which should not be included, let me know. And
> I'm really very sure there's far too much stuff I've missed out. Please
> keep adding to the list. Having more really does'nt hurt. We can always
> have a 2-CD distribution. The point is to give the people everything
> they'll ever need on the CD(s) so they'll never have to download anything
> on their dial-up lines.

i think they are pretty much there in any distribution ,its just a matter of
showing them where and howto of the stuff + the FREEDOM.

cheers
S.Goswami
--
Archean Infotech