[FSF-India] GNU/Linux in Schools

R Sai Kiran fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:48:11 +0530 (IST)

Hi,

> Yes, This is a great idea. A set of softwares for school should be
> identified and if possible made available in a CD for an easy install
> for the schools.

	For this again, I'd suggest Red Hat 6.2 as the base development
flavour. Anaconda really makes installation very peaceful.

> So in order to over come this a good support structure is required.
> But things gets much easier if we can find people in the teacher
> community to take initative.

	We can also place a lot more emphasis on the GUI based
configuration tools. Gone are the days when you *HAD* to use a shell to do
any administrative task. There are GUI applications to do most of this
work. For example, GnoRPM, Disk Management, User Management, GnoSamba
etc. The interface is also fairly intuitive. It's just upto us guys to
keep the "geekness" aside and demonstrate the use of these tools
:-). Seriously, most experienced users (includes me too) tend to use the
shell a lot more than the GUI. It just gives the newbie a feeling that he
has to learn lots of new "commands".

Regards,

Sai

Recursion n: