[FSF-India] GNU/Linux in Schools

Rajkumar S. fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 20:46:34 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, R Sai Kiran wrote:

> We've actually got lot more work to do before that. I'd seriously
> suggest that the "GNU/Linux for Schools Project" be added to the
> FSF-I Projects page in the FSF-I website.

Yes, This is a great idea. A set of softwares for school should be
identified and if possible made available in a CD for an easy install
for the schools.

We the Trivandrum GNU/Linux group had a chance to install the GNU
system in one of the schools here some time before. In that school the
person who was overall in charge was in favor of a GNU system but we
had to face opposition from the staff, whose attitude was like "we had
a great difficulty learning windows, and now you want us to forget all
these and learn a new thing with lots of command huh? All the GNU
stuff is great but find some one else to teach all these". This I
believe will be the typical problem that we are going to face in most
schools where the staff may not have core education in computers. She
may be having basic qualification in some other subject with some
certification in Computers and basic knowledge to use Winxx and MS
Office, and computers may be one of the subj that is thought by her.

So in order to over come this a good support structure is required.
But things gets much easier if we can find people in the teacher
community to take initative.

> What I think we should do is decide upon a set of software most
> relevant to schools and pack it up into a CD. What should be
> included and what shouldn't can be the subject of an interesting
> thread.

Their are four uses of computer in Schools

one to learn to effectively use a computer as a tool. In this skills
like word processing, emailing, web browsing etc are imparted.

Then the use of computer as a learning aid. The computer is used as a
supplement to the various classes, assignments and other learning
aids. Some of the tools required are multimedia CDs, Simulation of
molecular structures etc....

Third the use of computer to learn to program a computer. The general
languages databases etc..

Finally the use of computer as an office automation tool like any
other office for the school admin.

All the three may not be exclusive but require separate attention.

These are some of my random thoughts...

raj