[Fsf-india] Well done!!!

Rajkumar S. raj@gnu.org.in
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 11:49:07 +0530 (IST)

Hi,

I am one of the founder member of FSF India.

Let me congratulate for this excellent article and for releasing it
under a Free license is a novel and brilliant idea.

Though I would like to point out some common errors that you have made.

(from the 5th para)

1. Stallman did not start Opensource Movement, he started Free
software movement. Technically they are similar, but the Free software
movement puts more focus on the Freedom than technical issues.

2. Stallman never opposes copyrights, infact GPL is a copyright,

3. you have painted the Free software movement and Open Source
movement with the same brush, they are similar but the issues they
stress are different.

(6th para)
4. Linux is only an operating system kernel, not the entire OS, which
also includes editors, debuggers, compilers amongst others. These
components were produced by GNU project.

apart from this I again congratulate for an excellent article and for
releasing it for Free.

<quote>
One reason for doing so is that by releasing it under a
copyleft, we can print the recipe for OpenCola without violating its
copyleft. If nothing else, that demonstrates the power of the copyleft
to spread itself. But there's another reason, too: to see what
happens. To my knowledge this is the first magazine article published
under a copyleft. Who knows what the outcome will be? Perhaps the
article will disappear without a trace. Perhaps it will be
photocopied, redistributed, re-edited, rewritten, cut and pasted onto
websites, handbills and articles all over the world. I don't know--but
that's the point. It's not up to me any more. The decision belongs to
all of us.
</quote>

Let us hope that this will start a new trend and more and more
articles will be published under Free licenses.

raj