[Fsf-friends] Fwd: Electronic Voting Machines and Free Software (Was Re: Sign an Open Letter to the CJI in Support of Prashant Bhushan)

ck raju ck.thrissur at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:41:46 IST 2010

 > As a community, shouldn't we be therefore calling for public scrutiny
> of the source code of the EVM?

How do you make sure every EVM actually has the binary compiled from
the source code you inspected?
--------

If I refuse to agree with the principle that representative democracy is the
most ideal form of democracy, then a discussion on EVM is rendered
meaningless. If Free Software can evolve, occasionally throw surprises, has
the freedom to fork and continues to capture imaginations or aspirations of
a large user community, we should rather be asking the question of how to
take the  *working principles* of Free Software ahead in our attempt to
create better principles on existing democratic institutions so that they
become more and more democratic. Unlike software, democracy alters power
relations between human beings, and hence such democracy always need to keep
empowering powerless people, and disempower powerful ones.

CK Raju