[Fsf-friends] Sign an Open Letter to the CJI in Support of Prashant Bhushan

Satish Babu sb at inapp.com
Tue Sep 28 21:28:33 IST 2010

This is not about the petition, but I'm wondering if there is a link
between Free Software and EVMs.

If I remember right, the original debate was if EVMs could be
demonstrated to be tamper-proof.

EVMs are some kind of computers, and consist of hardware and software
(in this case, firmware). The question of establishing if an EVM is
tamper-proof *can* be resolved if the community has access to the
source code of the firmware. After all, if the community has
sufficient skills to contribute to the Linux kernel, we surely have
the competencies to audit/inspect the source code of the EVM.

As a community, shouldn't we be therefore calling for public scrutiny
of the source code of the EVM?

best

satish