[Fsf-friends] clarifications regarding new conditions for cyber-cafes

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 20:35:35 IST 2010

Resp. Sir/Madame,
I have been using the services of 'Prism net cafe' for the past six
months or so. Since my desktop broke down. On 16th September, 2010
Pune Newsline carried a news item detailing how many unlicensed
cybercafes are running in the city.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/police-chief-talks-tough-heat-on-unlicensed-cyber-cafes/682257/
. Yesterday evening i.e. the 17th of September, 2010 i went to the
above-mentioned cybercafe. They asked to have a scan of the identity
proof. While I gave the relevant details and they were duly scanned.
While I do understand and appreciate the work being done by the Pune
Cyber Cell targeting terrorist/anti-social elements at large I am also
concerned with the possibility of misuse of such information by
unscrupulous  individuals working in and around Cybercafes. I am sure
you are aware of how common individuals/people's names and cell
numbers are harvested routinely and sold for spamming/cold calling
etc. While most of these are a nuisance rather than anything else,
getting access to scanned identity information could have more issues.
Possibility of cases of identity theft  (couple or more which have
already happened in India) may see a rise. how does Pune Police hope
to secure the common public from such issues? While I have played out
the State's predicament as well in my blog post http://wp.me/po8ay-1Y
alongwith a copy of this letter  I would appreciate a reply on the
same.  I have few poignant questions on the matter mentioned above as
well :-

1. What if any new conditions are being made by Pune police for
identity proof ? I looked for answers on the Pune Police website
http://www.punepolice.gov.in/message_com.html and was none the wiser.

2. If a scanned picture of an individual along with relevant details
are taken how is the police going to stop/save us from any possible
misuse of our identity/information ?

3. If instructions have been issued/given  to scan pictures for id
proof, aren't they supposed to display those instructions on the
display board.

The above mentioned cybercafe is located off J.M.Road near Mamta
Sweets. My cell number is 091-976-333-0874 . If people want to forward
the mail to other socially relevant groups, please do so minus my
contact no.

A concerned citizen

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17