[Fsf-friends] Fwd: [fosscomm] Obituary to Our Friend & FOSS Activist Shyam Karanat

Nagarjuna G nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Sat Sep 4 20:10:12 IST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anivar Aravind <anivar.aravind at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 11:56 AM
Subject: [fosscomm] Obituary to Our Friend & FOSS Activist Shyam Karanat
To: Fosscom Network <network at fosscom.in>

Dear All,

Our Friend, and member of This List Shyam Karanatt  ended his life
himself yesterday afternoon. Still most of his friends are still
shocked and not recovered from the  pain of this news.
Shyam was a very active Free Software advocate and Activist.  I like
to recall his major contributions to Free Software Movement in India

He was known to me initially through Google Summer of Code candiate
for Swathanthra Malayalam Computing , for building the prototype for
Malayalam Speech Recognition system. and he started that with a
project named sharika based on CMU-SPINX library.  He become an active
volunteer of Swathanthra Malayalam Computing and part of various other
LUGS like Swathanthra Software Users Group Malappuram, Foss Group in
MES, FSUG- Thrissur etc. He become the project admin  for Translating
GNU.ORG webpages to Malayalam, and made a lot of progress with that
work .  He involved with Organising Various FOSS programmes in his
college and varouos cities in Kerala .

Shyam initiated the Syllabus Review page in FCI Wikia
http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Syllabus_Review  and compiled most of the
data, in association with Venkiy . Which become a major intervention
too later. He took a major role on realising the idea of GNU labs and
implimenting the first functioning GNU lab in MES kuttippuram
http://gnulabs.org/

Shyam was a good speaker in various FOSS conferences like FOSS.IN ,
Mukth.in etc and associate with Various FOSS Groups like IndLinux,
SMC, FSUG-Thrissur, FSUG-Calicut, SSUG Malappurm etc

His funeral is  at Ramapuram, Pala, Kottayam District today

Shyam's Photo From Niyam's collection
http://www.flickr.com/photos/niyam/2399712870/

~ in the memory of a good friend
Anivar

--
"[It is not] possible to distinguish between 'numerical' and
'nonnumerical' algorithms, as if numbers were somehow different from