[Fsf-friends] AC3 and Low-Vision

Arky rakesh_ambati at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 11:03:05 IST 2010

Hi,

The article about AC3 mentions about Vidya a low-vision user  http://beta.thehindu.com/news/cities/Bangalore/article245413.ece

"Shedding light on another issue, Vidya, who suffers from partial visual
impairment, spoke on the issues that the visually impaired face while
using computers. Demonstrating various technical issues with the
proprietary tools she uses, she also spoke about the fact that
accessibility tools (such as screen readers and related software, all in the proprietary domain) are extremely expensive. "

Magnification is problem with gnu/Linux. Some of members of accessibility team are working on this, but we have a long way to go. Given the giving the state of some of assistive gnome-mag, perhaps someone would like to work on this. Until then we have to rely on using Compiz eZoom [1]. If you are a low-vision gnu/Linux or know some of problems  please drop me a line.

Cheers

--arky

[1] Better Gnome Desktop Magnification with eZoom -
http://playingwithsid.blogspot.com/2009/07/better-gnome-desktop-magnification-with.html

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati| IT Consultant| http://www.braillewithoutborders.org | Blog: http://playingwithsid.blogspot.com