[Fsf-friends] Sasi Kumar in Paraguay - Free Software Asuncion

Venkatesh Hariharan venkyh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 03:19:28 IST 2010

Juan, while Sasi is there, can you discuss how emerging economies can
work together on global policy issues like open standards and the
fight against software patents? These battles need to be fought at
multilateral forums like World Intellectual Property Organization,
International Standards Organization and others.

If we can get FOSS friendly countries working together at these
forums, we can create a powerful force to counter the lobbies for
proprietary standards and software patents. These lobbies are driven
by powerful companies with huge budgets. Governments are the only
forces that can stand up against these corporate lobbies and we need
to work closely with such supportive governments.