[Fsf-friends] [FSUG-Bangalore] Fwd: [ilugd] AGBM, and elections to ILUG-Delhi: Sun., May 3rd, 2pm, SIT-JNU

Vikram Vincent vincentvikram at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 09:15:40 IST 2009

2009/3/24 Harish Singh <kumar.harish.singh at googlemail.com>:
> Uh. Where did you find that quote ? It sounds like you picked that one out

When people make rash comments without investigating the facts we can
evaluate the person and their opinions better.

> of a hat. That quote is inaccurate on so many levels, I wouldn't know where
> to start.

The original quote is here http://www.allgreatquotes.com/politician_quotes.shtml
 "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't
vote. -- William E. Simon"

> FYI Debian is not an example of democracy by their own admission. Before you
> post something to a public forum you should check your notes.

Do you follow the elections of the DPL? What about the intense
discussions on matters of policy within Debian? I guess you are
talking through your hat. Read
http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution and follow the appropriate
MLs.

> If you want to see democracy and its ill effects on a project head on over
> http://lwn.net/Articles/197383/ (
>
>  Re: Democracy: No silver bullet )
> http://lwn.net/Articles/197380/ (
>  Managing Gentoo - a study in quotes ).

There is nothing there in those links that contradicts what opinion I
have expressed. The developers are expressing their individual
opinions on the issues mentioned.
If you feel that FSF-I need not follow transparency, democracy,
dynamism, accountability then you and whoever else are free to keep
that opinion.
I can tell you quite confidently that if FSF-I follows such a path
then it will not be long before the only people left with FSF-I are
its office bearers.

<off-topic>
Currently, the majority of the votes cast across the country are by
uneducated people. They vote for a particular party because they are
given certain incentives. The people who claim to be educated ie., the
urban and educated lot and others give a variety of reasons for not
partaking in this important responsibility towards our country. And
then they complain...
So because you did not vote the corrupt come to power.
Check out the Ads by Times on TV they really emphasise on the point.
A popular band from Christ College 'Thermal and a Quarter' came out with a song
called 'Shut up and Vote' Watch it on youtube.

http://www.mid-day.com/poll2009/2009/mar/180309-Jaago-Re-One-Billion-Vote-Campaign-Bruce-Lee-Mani-Rock-Tour-Shut-Up-and-Vote-Songs-Poll-2009.htm

And if you do not like any of the contestants then at least cancel
your vote so that it is not misused.
So shut up about the problems and vote.
</off-topic>
--