[Fsf-friends] Posting on behalf of Karthikeyan

justin joseph justinjoseph007 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 09:58:30 IST 2009

Posting on behalf of Karthikeyan Shanmugam  iamsjkk AT gmail DOT com.

"Open access to scientific and technological knowledge is critically
important to developing nations. The information technology sector and
the free software movement have shown that new technologies and
methodologies can be developed by cooperative communities without
monopoly ownership – either through copyrights or patents. There is a
need to develop similar ways of promoting “science/knowledge commons”,
across many different scientific and technological disciplines, like
biotechnology and drug discovery.

The above is excerpt from XIX Congress Political Resolution of CPIM in
2008 Part II NATIONAL SITUATION Under 'Science & Technology'

CPI(M) supports Free Software for a long time. If CPI(M) makes promise
people can trust. It's NOT true with BJP,one of election agendas of
BJP in 1998 is 'Swadeshi' BUT immediately after it came to power in
April 1998, it follows the WTO, the IMF and the World Bank.BJP came
into power with slogan of 'swadeshi'. Immediately after assuming power
it announced the ExIm(Export Import) policy which shifts 340 items to
the list of Open General Licence (OGL) imports which led to liberal
imports.

Today BJP may say it supports Free Software after come into power it
will kick the Free Software and dine with M$.

As  Yashwant Sinha  wrote 'Confessions of a Swadeshi Reformer: My
Years as Finance Minister' some IT minister of BJP may write
'Confessions of Free Software supporter : My Years as IT Minister'.

I do NOT want to discuss in depth politics here if you are interested
please send me a mail, I'll send you a document what BJP did between
1998 and 2004."