[Fsf-friends] [Fwd: Free And Open Source Software (FOSS) Conference in Amritapuri Campus]

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 22:41:07 IST 2009

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Dharan P Deepak - <dharanpdeepak at gmail.com>
To: undisclosed-recipients : ;
Subject: Free And Open Source Software (FOSS) Conference in Amritapuri
Campus
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:18:14 +0530

Hi all,

We are conducting a FOSS (Free and Opensource software) conference in
Amritapuri campus on March 28th and 29th .

The website is constantly work in progress and will take a while to be
done. Meanwhile you can check out   http://foss.amrita.ac.in

Tentative agenda is at
http://foss.amrita.ac.in/site/foss-conference/agenda - We are planning a
track 3 as well - social aspects of FOSS and also include mysql.

We are targeting 150 non Amrita students, 50 faculty (inviting free of
cost), 150 Amrita students and 50 working professionals to attend this
conference.

The main aim is to promote awareness about foss and help get started
with contributing to foss.

As you know due to the economy people are finding it difficult to get
jobs now a days. But jobs are available still for the right candidate.

Getting in to FOSS is an added advantage for students or working
professionals as it helps to improve their confidence and resume too.
Recently when the VP of Nokia visited our campus he mentioned that he
would definitely hire some one who has been contributed to opensource
because it implies certain level of skills and attitude the student has.

In this conference we have hands on session not just demos. This will
help newbies as well as those who want to know how to contribute to
FOSS. (Working with source code, making changes building etc).

We are envisioning the website foss.amrita.ac.in to be a comprehensive
foss portal for anyone who is interested in foss and working with foss.

In the coming months we plan to have tutorials, links, video lectures
etc to be uploaded and help people get started with foss.

If you could inform all your friends, alumni etc that you know about
this event.

Registration is first come first served. It will definitely help the
delegates as we have seen from the experience of our students.

There are 4 outside speakers (3 from Sun Microsystems and 1 from InApp
solutions - Mr Amrnath Raja) and the rest of them are students sharing
their experience with the hands on session.

--
print _me;
Name error : '_me' not defined

print $techblog;