[Fsf-friends] [FSUG-Bangalore] [fosscomm] Article on Free Software Workshop for Govt. School Teachers - 2

justin joseph justinjoseph007 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 12:03:22 IST 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Anivar
Aravind<anivar.aravind at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Vikram
> Vincent<vincentvikram at swatantra.org> wrote:
>> First they ignore you
>> Then they laugh at you
>> Then they they fight you
>> Then you win
>>
>> - Gandhi Neat quote on the FSMK T-shirt! :)
>>
>> "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you,
>> then you win."
>>  --  Mahatma Gandhi
>>
>> With this message a few geeks at Free Software Movement Karnataka
>> (FSMK) have been working on popularizing the open source software in
>> the government schools and offices. "Karnataka Government decided to
>> use free software for 8th 9th and 10th standards as a part of their
>> ICT at Schools project(Information and Communication Technology). As of
>> now It is vendor controlled project (Educom, EVeron, etc are
>> implementing it) under BOOT (Build Operate Own & Transfer)scheme. For
>> making it more accessible to teachers & students(IT enabled learning),
>> we are initiating this training as a pilot project in bangalore. This
>> is organised by DSERT and a Consortium of Free Software Organisations
>> in Bangalore (FSUG Bangalore, Sampada, FSMK, ITfC, DeepRoot Linux,
>> IT4Change & Moving Republic are the organisations associated.)", said
>> Naveen Mudunuru, an active volunteer with FSMK.
>
> I believe it is a quote from my facebook album http://bit.ly/iBlKI  No
> issues  even though same copy paste attributed to naveen .  Joining
> with the spirit :-)

Ken Thompson's "Reflections on Trusting Trust" :
http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html

"That brings me to Dennis Ritchie. Our collaboration has been a thing
of beauty. In the ten years that we have worked together, I can
recall only one case of miscoordination of work. On that occasion, I
discovered that we both had written the same 20-line assembly
language program. I compared the sources and was astounded to find
that they matched character-for-character. The result of our work
together has been far greater than the work that we each contributed. "

Though in this case there seems to have been a mistake in attribution :-)