[Fsf-friends] Kerala school training material

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 23:58:09 IST 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 17:21 +0530, Raj Mathur wrote:

> Without getting into the details of whether the Kerala experiment is a
> total, partial or not at all a success from a free software point of
> view, all I wanted was soft copies of existing work that can be used for
> schools, for teachers and for train the trainers programmes under an
> open licence.  If there are lacunae in the courseware we're quite open
> to filling them.  However, without those basic tools the whole
> discussion is meaningless for me, at least from the specific requirement
> with which I approached the list -- all it means is that we need a new
> team to develop everything from scratch.

The IT textbooks for classes 8, 9, and 10 are available in English and
the last one is available for download too. The teachers handbook is
also available in English, I think. But all are available only as hard
copies. If you can make do with them, it may be possible to arrange to
get them for you. As for the content, I think the 10th class textbook
has the best design. Though the licence is not printed, I am pretty sure
that no one is going to be concerned if you copy and use the material.

> Something someone said at the
> recent FOSSCOMM meeting in Delhi led me to understand that all the
> course (at all 3 levels) was available for download under an open
> licence.

Yes, I too was surprised to hear that. But since I have not been
involved in the textbook writing process for a few years, I thought that
he may have more recent information.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar