[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

Sebin Jacob sebinajacob at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 15:00:22 IST 2009

> But how did these 'some states' realise the arguments raised by the
> movement.....

Peer Pressure.

> does not the other social movement's contribution count...

Yes, for Sure

why do free software has many takers in kerala?

Awareness of its philosophy is high and idealism is a part of our culture.
Even if we don't like to admit, there is this liberal sense of idealism
playing a role here.

i think one simple reason is there are many who has seen computers and are
> able to use them.

That is not an isolated case.

> Another reason is people have heard of freedom and the need for it and have
> experienced it.

You said it.

> Does any one think these happened after setting up  internet cafes for
> providing free knowledge to the people of kerala?

Never

> or is it only due to the awareness campaign of our's?

No

> who are these 85% of teachers? what is KSTA ....what is cpim..

Kerala School Teachers Association is the trade union. CPI(M) is a political
party. Majority of teachers in Kerala are members of KSTA. (for that matter,
majority of all govt servants in Kerala are affiliated to any one wing of
CITU or NGO Union.)

why do they want to support free software.... isnt there anything else than
> some of the speculations which were expressed in this list?

Its a natural alliance. Any responsible political party and trade unions
would support it.

do you think the government of 2006 was result of a sudden growth from
> nowhere?

It had many reasons.

> why are you stating that it was only a case of political advantage?

Who stated on what account?

> this is what i feel the anti-cpim factor in you.

I couldn't follow

> cpim is the only political party that has recognised the need and  extended
> the official support to free software..still you are accusing cpim of taking
> political advantage.

All is not B&W. there are shades of gray. It is true that CPI(M) officially
supported Free Software cause. But that doesn't blind one's eye to see the
M$ program being implemented in WB. Let alone WB. Kerala has a distinct
tradition. And here we see panchayat computerisation in proprietary
platform, Commercial Taxes dept in proprietary platform, etc. Khadi board
and KSEB are the boards that converted into FS. But that is not the case
with various govt departments. I am not saying that, CPI(M) had deliberatly
tried to implement proprietary solutions. It just happened so. Now is the
time to change. IKM stated, they would. We want results and we look forward
for that.

And someone would say about Akshaya. I went to an Akshaya centre in
Nambavankavu near Vattiyoorkkavu, TVM recently. All systems were running
windows and akshaya's computer literacy program was taught in M$ platform.

But there are several other instances like the participation of cpi(m)
leaders @ KMUG inaugural function. Okay, they are political leaders and they
will attend whatever function they are invited too. So that is not a big
deal.

We have earlier discussed about FSF-Chennai. We have also discussed about
Baisakhi linux before. We have discussed about NCFS Kochi. I am not going to
elaborate on it once more.

> i have only voiced my concerns about antagonizing the people who are with
> us, and i have tried to point out the personal anti-cpim position of some
> people getting reflected in their mails which will do harm to the movement.
> any way i think binary is better than your unary of 'only due to free
> software activism'.

You could carry on with binary position if you feel, its better. I myself am
with CPI(M) for many things. But that does not make me blind enough to be a
devotee.

Sebin

> Haynes.

...if I fought with you, if i fell wounded and allowed no one to learn of my
suffering, if I never turned my back to the enemy: Give me your blessing!
(Nikos Kazantzakis)