[Fsf-friends] Fwd: [FSUG-Bangalore] linux training for chennai corpn school teachers

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:19:44 IST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: vinay sreenivasa <vinay at itforchange.net>
Date: Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM
Subject: [FSUG-Bangalore] linux training for chennai corpn school teachers
To: Free Software Users Group - Bangalore <fsug-bangalore at mm.gnu.org.in>

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Chennai/Corporation_school_teachers_to_be_trained_in_computers_/articleshow/3592760.cms

CHENNAI: School teachers of Corporation schools will soon be adept in
computer operations , thanks to a new training programme launched by the

civic body.

"A total of 2,000 teachers from primary and middle schools will attend
the training . We aim to reach 500 teachers in the first phase, of which
150 will sit for the three-day training module provided by ELCOT
starting today," Corporation Mayor M Subramanian said at the launch of
the initiative here on Monday.

Teachers from 139 primary schools, 109 middle schools, 38 high schools
and 29 higher secondary schools will be covered by the programme. A sum
of Rs 50 lakh has been spent on the initiative.

"As a policy, ELCOT has been promoting open source software and we use
Linux in our operations for word processing, spreadsheets and so on. It
might be a little difficult for those who are used to Windows to operate
on Linux but we are assuming that the teachers we train do not know how
to work on computers. For every computer we purchase, we estimate an
amount of Rs 2,500 to take care of the training," Santhosh Babu,
managing director, ELCOT, said.

In a bid to better the infrastructure at schools, the Corporation has
procured 844 computers at a cost of Rs 2.3 crore, which will be
distributed by local administration minister M K Stalin, Mayor
Subramanian said. A total of 804 teachers who helped achieve 100% result
among students of classes X and XII will be given a cash incentive of Rs
4,42,000 in total, he added.

--
Vinay Sreenivasa
IT for Change
vinay at itforchange.net

http://itforchange.net
http://india.is-watch.net/
http://is-watch.net

Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.
Learning Windows is like learning to eat every meal at McDonalds.