[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:15:59 IST 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:21 PM, haynes davis <haynesdavis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Anivar Aravind <anivar.aravind at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:34 PM, haynes davis <haynesdavis at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > We have to correct any deviations of Kerala govt from its IT policy. But
>> > working together will be really tough (but not impossible) considering
>> >  your
>> > blind anti cpim position which is doing more harm to the free software
>> > community.
>>

>> Haynes,
>>
>> The it can be a non-cpim position too. But Branding everything  other
>> than only -cpim position to Anti-CPIM  position will not help for a
>> movement.
>
> right now non-cpim is a big vacuum regarding free software as far as
> political and government support is considered. Why our struggle does not
> seem to be productive in the other states and the central government?

Free Software movement is a Social Movement.  If some states realised
the arguments raised by a movement it is the victory of the Movement.
You and me are part of that.  You can Find various examples of Free
Software & Open standards adoption in Central Govt Policies, 11th 5
year Plan, Knowledge Commission Report etc.  On non-left ruled states,
Tamil Nadu did some positive steps on Free Software adoption due to
ELCOTs intervention. You can find similar examples from Other states.

I did a study about Free Software in Public Enterprises of Kerala for
SPACE  in 2005 October & November (Before Left Govt coming to power) .
It clearly shows more than 95% of successful e-governance projects are
on Free Software Platform . Most of them were not political decision
and silent adoption by the developers (Report is available at
http://space-kerala.org/downloads/foss.pdf )

And Left's adoption of Free Software Policy in Kerala is also a
logical follow up of various actions & discussions initiated by Free
Software Activists. Even the decision to adopt Free Software in
IT at School was decided in an SCERT meeting (with the support of 85% of
teachers) much before  2006 elections. But the govt came after
election got the political advantage of this decision. and we are very
happy about that because they are also helping FS movement by adopting
new policies .

But when people are pushing Bush's binary logic of "Either you are
with us or You are against us" (only-cpim positions and branding
everything else as Anti-CPIM) we have to remind history.

Anivar

--
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.