[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

sandeep sr sandeep.sr78 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 14:59:52 IST 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:21 PM, haynes davis <haynesdavis at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The it can be a non-cpim position too. But Branding everything  other
>> than only -cpim position to Anti-CPIM  position will not help for a
>> movement.
>
> right now non-cpim is a big vacuum regarding free software as far as
> political and government support is considered. Why our struggle does not
> seem to be productive in the other states and the central government?

Some of the 'productive' Free Software initiatives by the 'Red' State:

1.

** Microsoft to help West Bengal's IT initiative (2001)
http://www.thehindujobs.com/thehindu/2001/08/30/stories/06300008.htm

2.

** Microsoft India launches `student PC purchase' programme( in
partnership with the West Bengal government and Intel Technologies)
(2005) http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/28/stories/2005102816531100.htm

3.

** Microsoft inks MoU with West Bengal govt (2004)
http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/934755.cms
http://www.hinduonnet.com/2004/11/25/stories/2004112504511801.htm

(Just mentioning a few..)

And interestingly, a report on the Congress Govt's (Kerala) move to
introduce Free Software in Schools.

Stallman's MS-bashing in West Bengal gets ears in Congress-run Kerala
http://www.financialexpress.com/news/stallmans-msbashing-in-west-bengal-gets-ears-in-congressrun-kerala/125979/

--
Sandeep