[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 10:21:45 IST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 21:38 +0530, Vikram Vincent wrote:
> Let me try to sketch out a possibility you may not have thought about...

> <possibility>
> Some youth who were inspired by the ideals of free software and
> FSF/FSFI wanted to contribute their efforts to building the free
> software movement in TN. They were not aware about FSFI's policy on
> local chapters(I can safely say that not many knew that until
> recently) and did not know that they would have stones thrown at them
> for using the FSFI logo and also branded as "misguided activists of a
> political party". They invited people who they felt would support the
> cause of free software. Due to being extremely busy in organising such
> a program they were not able/forgot to send a mail to the required
> lists.
> Then certain people on this list, instead of trying to guide these
> youth, started throwing stones at them. Youth do not want to be beaten
> with stones and hence do not reply to FSFI's mail.
> </possibility>
> Sasi Sir,
> In your wisdom please see if such a situation is even remotely possible.

Thank you for presenting another possible scenario. But this still
leaves me with several doubts. They knew of the existence of FSFI,
enough to use the logo. The minimum they could have done was to write to
any of the FSFI mailing lists to inform FSFI about their intentions.
They did not do so. FSFI wrote to the email id given in their website to
ask about the people who were organising the conference. There was no
response. If someone wants to condone these things, they will have to
admit that these people were very naive and ignorant. But the contents
of the newsletter they had put up on their website showed that they were
not all that ignorant about Free Software or FSF.

Dear Vikram,

I don't think I am a very wise person. There is too much to understand
about life for most people to become really wise in their lifetime. In
my limited wisdom and intelligence, I think the scenario you have
described is possible, but very highly improbable.

--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India