[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

Vikram Vincent vincentvikram at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 14:24:41 IST 2009

Sebin,

2009/1/4 Sebin Jacob <sebinajacob at gmail.com>:

>> Seeing that you are determined to continue your smear campaign against
>> various FS activists and also specifically against the Karnataka
>> activists I think that there can be no meaningful cooperation with you
>> in Karnataka.
>> You are free to continue on whatever path you want but please excuse
>> us. Thank you.
>
> Dear Vikram,
>
> Who did say anything specifically against Karnataka activists? Are you

Read the thread again.

> making a case? I do believe that the CPI(M)s position to support FLOSS is
> nothing new and they have been very supportive to the cause even before.
> Stating that, I would aprreciate to see the party's stand being rigid on
> such matters. But instead, the LF govts in WB and Kerala seems walking back
> to square one.

So what does that have to do with us?
Since you come from Kerala I think you must be aware of the democratic
possibilities that you can avail.

> The filing of IT returns for instance is mandated in proprietary software.
> Its true that most business houses use excel as a spreadsheet application.
> So i am not saying that, it should not be allowed. But together with it, the
> merchants should be allowed to file the return in open/free formats too.
> That is, you have to walk the talk. When somone who attended the Kochi
> meeting says, the party will support a judicious mix of free and proprietary

Who said?

> software, we would like to see the presence of free software in governence
> projects. We the community (including both of us) would like to see the LSG
> computerisation in free environment. We would like to see, new procurements
> and project executions with free software. Is it what currently happens in
> WB and Kerala? If Yes, I am with you. I hope, we do have only one agenda -
> to propagate freedom infinity, so that we could walk together.

Sure so start a campaign in real(as opposed to virtual) life, suggest
ways in which things can be implemented along with what has to be
implemented and how large number of people with legacy knowledge can
be trained, etc... and then I think what points you put would really
count.