[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

Sebin Jacob sebinajacob at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 14:13:19 IST 2009

> Seeing that you are determined to continue your smear campaign against
> various FS activists and also specifically against the Karnataka
> activists I think that there can be no meaningful cooperation with you
> in Karnataka.
> You are free to continue on whatever path you want but please excuse
> us. Thank you.

Dear Vikram,

Who did say anything specifically against Karnataka activists? Are you
making a case? I do believe that the CPI(M)s position to support FLOSS is
nothing new and they have been very supportive to the cause even before.
Stating that, I would aprreciate to see the party's stand being rigid on
such matters. But instead, the LF govts in WB and Kerala seems walking back
to square one.

The filing of IT returns for instance is mandated in proprietary software.
Its true that most business houses use excel as a spreadsheet application.
So i am not saying that, it should not be allowed. But together with it, the
merchants should be allowed to file the return in open/free formats too.
That is, you have to walk the talk. When somone who attended the Kochi
meeting says, the party will support a judicious mix of free and proprietary
software, we would like to see the presence of free software in governence
projects. We the community (including both of us) would like to see the LSG
computerisation in free environment. We would like to see, new procurements
and project executions with free software. Is it what currently happens in
WB and Kerala? If Yes, I am with you. I hope, we do have only one agenda -
to propagate freedom infinity, so that we could walk together.

love,
Sebin

--
...if I fought with you, if i fell wounded and allowed no one to learn of my
suffering, if I never turned my back to the enemy: Give me your blessing!