[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 11:25:18 IST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 09:50 +0530, Vikram Vincent wrote:

> Read the title of the subject sir and read the speculations on this list sir.

Do you mean the title is Left bashing? You did not want to notice that
the content of many mails in this thread have expressed opinions against
the "hijack bid" hypothesis and the accusation that the CPM was doing a
volte face. I think I too wrote to say that I don't believe that report
in Indian Express that was the starting point of this discussion. But
you don't seem to want to see this. You seem to want only to attack the
FS community and FSFI. And you seem to see only what you want to see.
And remember, you are doing a disservice to the Left by antagonising
people in the name of the Left.

> The FSUG, FSF-friends and other FS lists are being used for promoting
> an Indian version of McCarthyism.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

Thank you for the education.

> If Sandeep or Sasi Sir or Praveen or anyone have any concrete
> complaints that an entity is indulging in wrong activities and those
> wrong activities are problematic for the FSM then feel free to bring
> those issues up. I am sure that all of us can work out appropriate
> solutions together.

I welcome that. I think most people here know that the problem was that
some people decided to start a chapter of FSF in Chennai without even
contacting FSF India or FSF. Interestingly, they did not even send a
message to the community mailing lists. They did not respond when Arun
wrote to them asking who was organising the conference. Whoever it was,
were, I think, misguided. And from the details given about the
conference, it appears that these people were CPM sympathisers or
activists, though I may possibly be wrong about this part. No one, so
far, has said that they are not. Not that it matters, but that is all
that we seem to be able to guess about them. This kind of activity could
lead to problems in the FSM. That is all.

> Please remember that the Karnataka FS activists support and
> cooperation with FSF-I is on the basis of the principles of Free
> Software that have been clearly explained by RMS and Eben Moglen

That is good. FSFI is grateful to anyone who is willing to contribute to
the software or contribute to propagating the ideal of Freedom that FSF
and FSFI stand for.

--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India