[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 10:30:55 IST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Vikram Vincent <vincentvikram at gmail.com> wrote:

> The FSUG, FSF-friends and other FS lists are being used for promoting
> an Indian version of McCarthyism.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism
> If Sandeep or Sasi Sir or Praveen or anyone have any concrete
> complaints that an entity is indulging in wrong activities and those
> wrong activities are problematic for the FSM then feel free to bring
> those issues up.

Dear Vikram,

This is a Clear StawMan  argument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman_argument

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation
of an opponent's position.[1] To "set up a straw man," one describes a
position that superficially resembles an opponent's actual view, yet
is easier to refute. Then, one attributes that position to the
opponent.

> I am sure that all of us can work out appropriate
> solutions together.

Thats Good. Straw Man Positions will not help this move

> Please remember that the Karnataka FS activists support and
> cooperation with FSF-I is on the basis of the principles of Free
> Software that have been clearly explained by RMS and Eben Moglen

This is a good move. BTW, Just a question out of curiosity .Reading
between the lines does it means (Some )"Karnataka FS Activists"
(linked with /supported by CPIM (i dont think it is a bad thing ))
support and Cooperation with FSF-I on the FSFI on the basis of (some
new ? )principles of Free Software that have been clearly explained by
RMS ad Eben Moglen .?

Anivar
--
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.