[Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 23:09:41 IST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 19:14 +0530, Vikram Vincent wrote:
> 2009/1/1 V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 13:04 +0530, sandeep sr wrote:
> >
> >> Madhyamam, a local daily today has a report by P.K Prakash that Mr.
> >> Joseph Mathew, was removed from his post as IT Advisor to the Kerala
> >> CM, as he resisted the efforts of a group from taking over FSF India.
> >
> > The official reason given is something very different and I hope that is
> > the truth.
>
> Why the hell is FSF-I bothered about the internal functioning of a
> democratically elected State government?

Who said FSF-I is bothered? Why are you trying to put words into someone
else's mouth?

> >> The attempts to organize a local FSF chapter in TN without the consent
> >> of the Board Members, the Kochi conference, and the latest reports ...
> >> may be the 'hijack' theory was not entirely baseless.
> >
> > I don't think it is easy to hijack the FS movement. The move to start an
> > FSF chapter in Chennai was probably the act of some misguided supporters
> > of the party. Even the Kochi conference was a good effort, except that
> > some of the people involved were probably not quite familiar with the FS
> > ethos. So let us not start speculations. Instead, let us concentrate on
> > our work -- building good software and promoting the ideal of freedom.

> And we arrive at the hijack theory being repeated once again and by no
> less an individual than an FSF-I Board Director.

Again, why are you trying to put words into my mouth? Please read
carefully and see who has raised any hijack theory here.

> >From the above statements, should the Indian Free Software Movement
> understand that since the Left were the only ones to support us in
> *all* our campaigns - that they are condemned to be bashed up on the
> FSF-friends and friends mailing lists?

Please show where left parties have been "bashed up". Please don't read
what is not written.

> What about the communal parties who are claiming use of freedom
> software? What is their stand w.r.t. free software?

That is a good question. Wish someone from those parties replied.

> Why don't the anti-Left proponents on this mailing list take up a campaign to get
> them to support us?

Sure. It would be good if members of this list who have some influence
with any party can take up the question of supporting Free Software with
the party bosses.

> Sasi Sir,
> Can you please explain to us how any entity can "hijack" a peoples'
> movement because if you do not give us a convincing answer then we are
> going to bring about a motion on this very list to pressure the FSF-I
> Board to impeach/sack you or whatever for your irresposible comments.

Sure. You are free to go ahead and implement your threat. But I hope you
will first tell me why I should explain something that you have said.

--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India