[Fsf-friends] Kernel related queries

Maxin John maxinbjohn at rediffmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:34:18 IST 2009

Hi Prasad,

>1.Can we create linux static kernel functions?if yes please let me
>know that procedure?

  The development of static kernel functions will be equivalent to
adding a new system call in Linux kernel. Please refer this link:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3326

>2.Can we call system call in kernel space?
>3.can we call system calls or kernel function in user space?

  System calls provides the mechanism through which user space
programs can access services provided by Linux kernel. But some system
calls can be invoked from kernel space. It has some advantages in
terms of performance. For further details,refer this article by Alessandro Rubini.

link: http://www.linux.it/~rubini/docs/ksys/

For better understanding of Linux, refer these links also:

  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/ygz/378-03S/
  http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

Or buy the "Linux Kernel Development" book by Robert Love from the
local book store.

 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0672327201/ref=sib_dp_pt/276-
3920462-4207666#reader-page

 PS. Don't boycott this book as it is published by Novell Press. I
guess we don't have any issues with Books :)

Regards,
Maxin B. John