[Fsf-friends] women and free software

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 01:56:28 IST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 00:57 +0530, Deepa Paul |ദീപാ പോള്‍ wrote:

> I will correct  the term "absent" to subverted. Also generalising will
> not solve a problem. That needs active involvement from women

I deliberately used the term "absent" because it is value neutral. I did
not want to be judgemental without understanding it. Yes, we cannot
generalise. But when we see that women are a majority in many careers,
including teaching, but see less of them in non-career activities, we
may tend to suspect some kind of social hurdle. But I fully agree with
you that women have to take an active role in breaking out (if that is
what you meant). And the men who sympathise with the cause also need to
help.

> > And the domestic responsibilities that they
> > have to carry on their heads. If there are females in this list, it
> > would be nice if they respond.
>
> It is sad that you are not aware about female presence in this  list

Sorry that I did not remember your name, though you have sent several
mails. It was not written after a careful examination, but I just wrote
on the spur of the moment. And I could not recollect the names of any
females who were members here. I am sorry. But I still cannot recollect
another name.

Incidentally, recently there was a private discussion about a conference
of women FOSS enthusiasts. It originated from FSUG, Meerut, if I
remember right. What do the females here think about it? The idea is, of
course, not to exclude men, but for women to take the lead roles. You
may allow a few men also to participate. What say?

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India