[Fsf-friends] women and free software

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 20:49:20 IST 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 17:41 +0530, Krishnakant wrote:

> There might be many reasons but I too personally observed in most of the
> workshops I conduct in colleges etc that the ratio of women to men
> attending the workshop is very very bad to say the least.

Interestingly, girls are in the majority among students, and women are
in majority among teachers. It is for, so to say, "extra curricular"
activities that females are absent. And this must be due to social
issues -- male dominance. And the domestic responsibilities that they
have to carry on their heads. If there are females in this list, it
would be nice if they respond.

This problem cannot be tackled by Free Software. It exists, as I
understand, almost everywhere, including the developed world. This has
to be tackled from a different angle.

Best
Sasi

--