[Fsf-friends] women and free software

Krishnakant krmane at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:41:43 IST 2009

Hi,
Well, the fact is that while there are women in ICT industry but very
few are "hackers " in the field of free software and even with regards
the software industry, the field to which they tend to limit themselves
is a very narrow one.

Doing a job in a typically big company like infi or TCS, learning and
going into the trend of "happening technology " and doing some kind of a
sterio type of job.

There might be many reasons but I too personally observed in most of the
workshops I conduct in colleges etc that the ratio of women to men
attending the workshop is very very bad to say the least.

When I talk with all my female friends and students in this context (and
I talk often ), I get reasons like "we never knew we could do this stuff
" or "there are many social factors because of which we don't tend to go
out of houses far away to work no matter how great the project is ".

So this is the kind of situation,  However we can let some knowledgable
female take a lead and being motivated herself can motivate others.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.