[Fsf-friends] Has FSF-India lost its relevance?

Mani A a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 03:53:22 IST 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Jack As <jcakas at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. The members of the FSF-I work group have not met nor changed in
> ages..(see the Who's who for reference)

Interesting. What does the rule book say?

> 2. The members of the FSF-I and a few others throw accusations against teams
> trying to do something to popularise free software by using some frivolous
> technicalities...

Members are entitled to their views and those are not necessarily the FSF's.
Yes, throwing accusations against other advocates without proper proof
and using sensationalist headlines is bad.

> 3. Just 5 men on the FSF-I board who do nothing but talk a lot(paper
> tigers)...

Some of them do not talk enough. A larger board can be useful. FSF-I
needs to help with advocacy too. FSF-I has done some work, their
website is not informative enough.

> More than a CPIM takeover I am worried about FSF-I rotting to death due to
> inactivity...

There should be no problem if the Left as a whole joins the FSF-I,
substantial sections are certainly active in promoting FOSS. E.g. of a
leftist website: http://www.pragoti.org/

You can see the mailing list archives of FSF-I for more details on
past activities.

Why don't you suggest some path-breaking activities?

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani