[Fsf-friends] Appeal for Bihar relief fund

Vikram Vincent vincentvikram at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 19:03:46 IST 2008

On behalf of Team Swatantra I would like to extend our support to the fund
collection drive for relief for the victims of the Bihar flood.
I request all to please join in this effort.
Thank you,
Vikram Vincent
Coordinator
http://swatantra.org
9448810822

*Forum For Science & Development*

*Free Software Movement-Karnataka*

*An Appeal*

 Dear Friends,

 Bihar has been reeling under floods of an unprecedented nature leading to
large-scale death and destruction. Although the resilient people of Bihar
are used with the floods which are almost a perennial feature, the present
floods have taken the nature of a National Calamity as the River Kosi has
changed its course and is flowing in the opposite direction. This is a
situation which was unforeseen and many districts of Bihar are totally
submerged and lakhs of people are marooned without food or relief. About 16
districts have been submerged and more than 20 lakhs people have become
homeless.

The Government machinery is doing its bit, but the sheer magnitude of the
calamity makes it almost impossible for it to be handled by the Government
alone. There is no assessment of the actual loss of lives and property as
many areas are still inaccessible. The threat of epidemics is also something
that looms large in such circumstances. It becomes the duty of all patriotic
citizens to rise to the occasion and assist in such relief efforts.

The Forum For Science and Development and Free Software Movement-Karnataka
is organizing collection of relief for the flood victims in an effort to
provide succour to the suffering. A Relief Team will leave to Bihar in the
Second week of October and along with the Bharat Gyan Vigyan Samiti disburse
relief in the affected areas. We request you to contribute generously in
this endeavor so that we can share their suffering and mitigate it to some
extent. Our volunteers will be approaching you individually for your
contributions and also seek your support to meet concerned officials in your
establishment to make it a meaningful effort.

In anticipation of your support and cooperation,

 Thanking You,

 Sd/-

Dr.S.Chatterji

Convenor, FSD.