[Fsf-friends] (R)e-Governance in Kochi Corporation !!

Mani A a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 20:58:15 IST 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 7:43 PM, CK Raju <ck.thrissur at gmail.com> wrote:
> "...The capital and initial costs, including those for hardware with
> software system cost, application software, creation of web portal,
> data digitisation and training and capacity building of personnel for
> the first two years of the commission, will be available from the
> Central government.
>
> Wipro, one of the IT majors, is in the process of preparation of the
> detailed project report for the e-governance programme for Kochi. The
> agency is expected to complete the work within two months, Ms. Antony
> said.
> Are our activists in government aware of this new development ?
> Why aren't the platforms, mode of storage of public information, types
> of standards being deployed not mentioned here ?
> Is it another Microsoft back-door ?

Seems to depend crucially on WIPRO and the J.N. National Urban Renewal Mission.
The power is not with the local bodies (Were they consulted in the
first place?). This mission gives the power to non-accountable SPVs
(special purpose vehicles) ... like in the Bangalore Metro case.
Something needs to be done.
FLOSS activists must have a presence at all places.
Send a letter to the editor as well.

Best

A. Mani

--