[Fsf-friends] Software Patenting

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 10:51:31 IST 2008

"If formulaic Hindi films were protected by patent laws, we would be
able to make only one film," joked Abraham. The system of software
patenting wipes out smaller businesses and innovation, he said.
"Software, like poetry and literary works, is already protected by
copyright. After all, Bill Gates made his fortunes from copyright and
not patents. But many software companies are trying to get additional
protection."

Copyright and patents are both part of intellectual property rights,
but copyright restricts the expression of an idea while patents
restrict the idea itself, according to Abraham. Under a patenting
regime, even before a kid writes one line of code he has to read many
patents."

Full Coverage
http://www.timeoutbengaluru.com/aroundtown/aroundtown_feature_details.asp?code=14

Another story by Hindu