[Fsf-friends] FSF-I as a unifying force(WasRe: Statement of FSF India board on recent incidents)

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 23:15:29 IST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 22:20 +0530, Vikram Vincent wrote:

> FSF-I was formed in July 2001. The I-Lugs existed years before that.
> Now FSF-I should have worked for the conversion of the "Linux" to
> "Libre" as done in certain groups.
> Why divide the Movement by promoting FSUGs etc?

We believe that Free Software is much more than Linux. So we would like
the user groups to be named FSUGs, GLUGs or something that reflects the
idea of freedom, such as what you suggested. But we don't take the
decision as to whether the name of a particular group should be FSUG,
GLUG or something else (PLUG, for example). The decision is taken by the
members of the group. Several groups that were originally called LUGs or
ILUGs have changed their name. Why do you think that this will divide
the Movement? We have not seen any division so far. Let us not create a
division where none exists.

> To take free software(free knowledge) to the last (wo)man in the most
> backward villages of our country we need people of different
> backgrounds. I don't think that differences on the issue of Free vs.
> Open should have been a devisive issue.

You are free to have your views, but we believe that Freedom is
important, and that it is not just the source code being open that is
important. Therefore, we advocate the use of the term Free Software. Of
course, you have the freedom to use any name you want, but we would
request you to use the name Free Software if you value freedom.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India