[Fsf-friends] Statement of FSF India board on recent incidents

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 16:00:38 IST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 14:27 +0530, Arvind Kumar Chinniah wrote:
> Excellent go ahead with your complete strategy on and against the
> democratic stance on freedom and software.
> You were informed about that, else I don't know how you were present
> in the campus ? (A BASIC LOGIC MESS).

I did not understand what I was informed about. If you are talking about
the Cochin University conference, yes, I was not only informed, but also
invited to chair a session. I declined the offer because I had another
commitment and I was not sure whether I would be able to even
participate in the conference. I informed the organisers not to make me
chairman for any session because of this confusion. I told them that I
would participate if I could. So what is your problem? That I did
participate in the conference? Are you saying that I should not have
participated?

> And even dont know how you guys went on through taking sessions that
> too from the first day morning.

You mean to say that those who had agreed to take sessions should not
have? So that it would throw the conference into confusion? So that you
could have then blamed these people for having created the confusion?
Sorry to disappoint you there.

> A symbol can be patented, even I'm against it, pls get to know abt
> that if u r ignorant. (Hope this can be made as a separate thread of
> discussion).

Thank you for the knowledge. I did not know that a symbol could be
patented. Hope you are knowledgeable about patents.

> You said you accept the money or incentive, if you were sponsored, on
> their willingness. The case in Kochi Conference also is the same.
> All the linux user groups were asked for sponsor, Novell user group
> came out with a quote for sponsoring at the platinum level.

Oh so was it the Novell user group that sponsored the conference? Must
be a rather wealthy group if they could become the Platinum sponsor of a
conference that hosted 1500 people.

> The question is "Are you the only authoritive to make decisions on
> free software in India ?"
> I was actually expecting an answer for this. And the other are all due
> to the way you made your statement page.

Of course not. Actually, I don't make any decisions on free software in
India. It is actually the governments and the people who make decisions.
We Free Software advocates talk to them why they should adopt Free
Software and Free formats. That is all.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar