[Fsf-friends] Statement of FSF India board on recent incidents

pratapreddy pratap.fsf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 00:22:11 IST 2008

Dear friends,

I am referring to FSF India Board statement on recent issues..

It is quite surprising to me while going through the description to the
first question-Who organized the first national conference on free
software in 2007. The statement says...

<quote>
..... Based on his suggestion and his initiative, FSF India decided to
organize a national convention of free software activists. Under his
leadership, FSF India worked with other organizations like University of
Hyderabad and Swecha to conduct the first national convention.
<unquote>

A committed group of Swecha activists, academicians from Universities
like JNTU, OU in-association with University of Hyderabad actively
involved in the first national conference. This group is very important
They should be given due credit. I think community involvement is the
key factor for the success.

More over the conference announcement is available in Swecha web site
but not in FSF India portal. (Board statement confirmed it).

I may not agree in toto with the continuation of the statement referring
to valedictory session...

The emphasis delivered by one of the speakers in the valedictory session
is mainly focussed on bridging the gap in the digital divide. I dont
think that he used our platform for anti-free software propaganda. On
many occasions he encouraged free software.

In Indian scenario, more and more community participation in a larger
democratic interest will be the final solution.

pratap,

--
Dr. L. Pratap Reddy,
Prof. in ECE Department,