[Fsf-friends] Statement of FSF India board on recent incidents

Arun M arun at gnu.org.in
Sat Nov 29 18:47:51 IST 2008

> Why is FSF India trying to divide the existing commitee with this sort of
> approach.What they should be ideally doing is to encourage setting up of
> local chapters and strengthening the movement. But with this sort of stand
> and approach they are in fact killing the movement, killing the enthu among
> the people who are a part of the movement. Stating that " FSF India is not a
> mass organisation" is itself in contradiction to what the founder of Free
> Software Movement, Mr. Richard's speaks, that of majority of people using
> and evangelising free software.

FSF is not Free Software Movement. FSF and its sister organisations tries to
give leadership to free software movement.

FSF India would be announcing a policy on local organisations. We do understand
the need for local communities. There again rather than creating new communities
it is better if we can work with local free software user groups and
other organisations working for the promotion of free software
philosophy.
.
Also note that being a sister organisations of FSF, FSF India has to
follow policies of FSF. If we dont do that we wont be 'FSF India' but
something else. There are some basic principles under which FSF
recognised FSF India as a sister organisation. It is not possible to
change that.

Some of our friends may have different view how FSF India's
organisations setup be. I respect those view. They are free to take
their own steps to correct the action. May be  a new organisation
based on millions of members and elected representatives.  Yes, you
may be right. You are free to do that. And all of us can work
together.
Let there be 1000 more organisations to promote free software.
We just needs to be watchful of whether these organisations are
helping community or sabotaging it from with in.

As long as one is promoting philosophy of free software why should we
worry about which label which organisation which colour!

Words from Gitanjali coming back to mind.

"Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls"