[Fsf-friends] Item-9 in Open Source Definition

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Thu Nov 27 08:03:13 IST 2008

On Thursday 27 Nov 2008, Mani A wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 2:10 AM, Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/11/26 Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org>:
> >> Er, would you have some data to back up that statement?  If you
> >> mean organised crime is technically advanced, sure, I have no
> >> quarrel with that.
>
> I could have used 'Many' instead of 'Most'. But I meant to include
> entities like the 'US Government ' and their agencies in the term
> 'organized crime industry'.

Even better, let's include ``computer users'' in the term ``organised
crime industry'' then the connection between proprietary software
development companies and organised crime will be totally clear and
unassailable!  And since some terrorists are computer users too, we can
now also state that the proprietary software companies foster, support
and are heavily connected with terrorism.

OK, now let's find some way to blame those nasty software corporates for
global hunger, holes in the ozone layer, the terrible water situation
in Simla and Amitabh Bacchan's lack of acting talent.  I have full
faith in the ability of the linguists and logicians in this list to
warp languages and concepts into any form required to prove their
arguments.

> There are plenty of known cases in proprietary software for
> elections, hedge funds and ... Desktops/servers : )

So... if Diebold had used GNU and Linux on their controversial ballot
machines would we have been discussing the connection between organised
crime and free software?

FWIW I still don't see any facts coming out, so I'm dismissing your
statement about the connection between proprietary software and
organised crime as pure, baseless FUD.  End of posts on this thread
from my side unless some reason comes into the picture.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                raju at kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/