[Fsf-friends] Fwd: [FSUG-Bangalore] Blog post on National Conference & Boycott Novell Protest (PART- 2)

Vikram Vincent vincentvikram at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:01:02 IST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <naveen.nj at birlasoft.com>
Date: 2008/11/20
Subject: Re: [FSUG-Bangalore] Blog post on National Conference & Boycott
Novell Protest (PART- 2)
To: fsug-bangalore at mm.gnu.org.in

                                          *    PART – 2 *

*                               (This is a continuation of PART-1. So first
read PART-1 and then read PART- 2)***

                                                                           *A
Glimpse into The FSF Conference - CUSAT*

I understand the passion the free software activists had while protesting
against Novell, an outflow of grave anti-dominion feel. But this was not the
way, especially considering that the protest against Novell was lead by a
member of the program committee – there should've been some morale. 'NOVELL'
was the next important thing after the conference from Saturday, considering
the gargantuan 20x30 backdrop hung in the main stage. I must say, being
humble enough to proclaim that I possess some basic common-sense that it is
next to unbelievable that among the 15 – 20 people behind the BOYCOTT NOVELL
MOVEMENT, not even one of them saw this banner. I remember Mr. Arkky (the
cameraman in the exhibition hall) who send a mail about this, and many
others retorting about this '*UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT'* but present in the
inauguration ceremony. As per the hierarchy of incidents, the fact that
Novell had a hand in sponsorship was realized too late by them, too
difficult for me to accept considering the above facts, and even if they
knew it early, instead of resorting to cheap publicity methods and making a
mess of things they should've shown the sense of making it clear with other
committee members like Anil and Deepak who have made their points clear
through blogs and mails before. But they fled with their say-sos and made
the innocents from MEC & TCR Engg College partners of their crime –
conspiring how to make a huge mess out of the whole thing. Some* ALUMNI* did
approach the organizers but not to gather support for BOYCOTT NOVELL
movement, but to escape the hands of the volunteers for the chaos caused by
these so called revolutionaries. Novell put up their stall only after giving
the sponsorship cash to the organizers. I won't be able to digest the reason
– even if I get one – why one among the program committee member himself
lead this anarchy!!!!!!!.

Why I call it a beautiful drama, I'll speak about later - but after this
drama of incidents I had a casual chat with the organizers of the Novell
stall. They actually thanked the protestors – how wonderful – as the whole
incidents boosted up their publicity. People who knew nothing about Novell
now know everything about it – the very purpose of stalls & publicity.
'Boycott Novell' posters were pasted in many stalls forcefully. Banners
welcoming the delegates put up on behalf of the various associations like
Cochin University Employees Association and Cochin University Teachers
Association etc had no escape... Dr Bhasi, a highly honored faculty of
CUSAT, when trying to obstruct the chaos that ensued in the exhibition hall
was probed about his authority in the matter. It is demeaning to note that a
former student stooped to such low levels as to ask such a respected man to
remove the posters himself. I do take this as an opportunity to express my
heartfelt regret at such an action. Even the University Security Officer,
Mr. Suresh Babu – an extremely student friendly officer, was assaulted by
questions about his authority and was asked to show his identity card – how
appalling for him, for us. Volunteers, pushing away their exam pressures
going on throughout this month did an awesome job to make the whole program
a grant success – their dedication and commitment to the principles of such
a movement being the driving force. Unfortunately they too weren't spared.
The 'former students' who did witness a variant of such an atrocity during
Culturals and Sports can have a better understanding, I suppose. *(To be
continued as PART – 3)*

Regards,

Naveen