[Fsf-friends] Fwd: [+PLUS] Open Source Developer

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:55:41 IST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Edward Terry <eterry at openboxbuilder.com>
Date: 2008/5/21
Subject: [+PLUS] Open Source Developer
To: plus-discuss at lists.sarovar.org

I'm looking for an entry-level software developer to work on a series of
projects on a full-time basis.  This would be a long-term engagement as
an independent contractor.

I'm in the process of starting two businesses, one assembling and
selling Linux-based computers to small resellers, and one to develop an
educational simulation game targeting the home-school market.  Some
projects will be related to improving the usability of open-source
software that will be bundled with the computers I sell, and others will
be related to simulation game development.

The first project involves integration between OssimPlanet
(http://www.ossim.org/OSSIM/ossimPlanet.html) and Delta3D
(http://www.delta3d.org).

OssimPlanet is an open-source virtual globe, similar in many ways to
Google Earth and NASA World Wind.  Delta3D is an open-source game and
simulation engine.  OssimPlanet lacks physics, while Delta3D lacks
terrain.  OssimPlanet + Delta3D could provide an excellent base for a
simulation game set in the real world.  The projects have discussed
integration to allow them to work together, but haven't done anything
about it due to lack of resources and more urgent needs.

I'm looking for someone who is interested in taking on the necessary
integration and can commit to at least 6 months.  The work would be done
as a series of projects.  Payment would be on a per-project basis (based
on deliverables), rather than hourly.

The following are required:

-Fluency in English.
-Reliable broadband Internet access.
-Ability to work without supervision.
-Skill in C++.

Experience with OssimPlanet
(http://www.ossim.org/OSSIM/ossimPlanet.html), Delta3D
(http://www.delta3d.org), and Ubuntu Linux (http://www.ubuntu.com) would
be helpful but is not required if you're willing to familiarize yourself
with them on your own time.  Experience contributing to an open-source
project would also be very helpful but is not required.

Please email me if you would like more information.