[Fsf-friends] [MAJOR X-POST] Re: BIS committee votes against ooxml

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Thu Mar 20 22:07:26 IST 2008

On Thursday 20 Mar 2008, Nagarjuna G. wrote:
> India's BIS votes against ooxml.  out of 19 members, five of them did
> not attend the meeting, one of them abstained, five voted in favor of
> ooxml, and the rest voted against.

Major win for the community, and I'd like to extend personal thanks to
the 3 people who I know have been putting in long hours into this
effort with no gain:

- Nagarjuna
- Venky (of Red Hat)
- Prabir Purkayastha

That isn't an exhaustive list by any means, and it'd be great if you
guys could enumerate the other people who have contributed to this win.

A request to the community: if you have the time and the inclination,
please take a few minutes and send a personal mail thanking these
front-line warriors.  If we can come up with the list of organisations
who voted against OOXML and a contact person, a mail to each of those
organisations wouldn't go amiss either.

I'm convinced that if Prabir, Venky, Nagarjuna and the others in the
team hadn't worked like dogs for months on end, today we'd be seeing a
proprietary standard for all our documents.  Must feel good to see all
that work pay off, huh? :)

Regards,

-- Raju
--