[Fsf-friends] Java is Free - 100%, Java Trap is broken

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Wed Jun 25 09:49:29 IST 2008

On Wednesday 25 Jun 2008, CK Raju, Thrissur wrote:
> "Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:20 PM PDT
>
> Symbian's decision to make its source code freely available tips the
> scales in favor of open-source software in smartphones and could make
> it harder for Microsoft, and even other open-source platforms like
> Google's Android and Linux, to compete...."
>
> Complete story at
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147521/symbian_shifts_m
>obile_world_to_open_source.html CK Raju

The story goes on to say:

``They will offer it under a royalty-free license to members of a new
nonprofit group called the Symbian Foundation.''

Does that mean sharing of source is limited to members of the
Foundation?  How about independent developers and individuals, can we
get and use the source or not?

I'll take the announcement with a pinch of salt until the licensing
terms of the ``open'' Symbian OS are clarified.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                raju at kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/