[Fsf-friends] Educational resoures... from azimpremjifoundation.org

Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया] fred at bytesforall.org
Mon Jul 28 15:05:47 IST 2008

Sukumar Anikar <anikar at azimpremjifoundation.org>  [1] and Prasad <
prasad at azimpremjifoundation.org> managed to get across to me a copy of a DVD
… and what a DVD at that! It contained a whole lot of fascinating
educational software for school children.

A couple of nights ago, I ended up 'playing' some educational games with
Aren, 5, and told him that my friends had sent the same across free. "Did
you say 'thank you'?" he asked me in turn. In fact, he kept 'playing' on
these games, though it was almost midnight, and even though he's too small
to obviously understand many of the concepts being taught here (decimal
fractions, and what not … but big enough to be interested in the wild
animals of the jungle and to try and comprehend how fruits and a balanced
diet gives us the energy we need to do work). The 'games' sent across in
this DVD work excellently and without flaw (so far) on my Ubuntu laptop.
They have been adjusted to work with the GNU/Linux operating system.

It drew my interest enough to dash across another email to Sukumar and
Prasad, requesting more programmes.Given the medium of instructions being
used (and subjects taught) in Goa, I am particularly interested in software
dealing with:

   - English language
   - Hindi language
   - Maths
   - Environmental Science
   - General Science
   - Social Science
   - Co-curricular subjects

 Check out the long list of what's available.
http://www.azimpremjifoundation.org/html/E_Learn_Mat_table1.htm

The Azim Premji Foundation is actually keen to work with educational
institutions (rather than with individuals, if I understood right) for
obvious reasons.

Said the APF in a mail to me: "We always support the state governments by
providing them the Digital Learning Resource (DLR) for deployment in
Government schools. Generally, the support is by providing the right to
replicate our content to the state, without any costs.  Our Digital Learning
Resource is not provided if the intended use is for commercial purposes. We
also share content with NGOs and other institutions who manage schools where
there is no barrier on admissions and where no fee is being charged."

And Mr Anikar added, "Almost all our titles or Digital Learning Resource are
trilingual i.e. in English, Hindi and in any one of the regional
languages. While
we have just 10 titles in Marathi the same is not available for immediate
release as they have to be validated by a state government. However, we will
share other titles that are in English and Hindi. Further, we are also in
the process of making our content compatible with [GNU]Linux platform and
hence for the present we will be sharing only such titles which are
compatible with both windows and Linux and those that have been tested.  The
remaining titles would be shared on a future date and on completion of
testing. We will be clustering our titles in a couple of DVD's and send it
across to you in the next week…. We also wish to state that there is a
process that needs to be followed in implementing the Digital Learning
Resource in schools which we will share the same with you once you confirm
the receipt of Digital Learning Resource."

And: "A note of caution — our Digital Learning Resource are not meant to
help in computer literacy. The target group is children in the age group of
6-14 years and the Digital Learning Resource primarily presents concepts
related to Maths, Science and Language related to the curriculum for classes
Standard I to Standard VIII."

By way of background, from their website: "Azim Premji Foundation has
commenced the digital content creation effort in the year 2002. So far,
Foundation has created over 100+ master CD titles for the classes 1 to 8 and
the same have been translated into various regional languages in India
including few tribal languages. The content is created with the pedagogical
focus to enable the children to directly use and learn where the teacher
will act as facilitator. The attributes of the content are; curriculum
oriented, child-centered, self paced, interactive and multimedia based
content."

You probably know that Azim Premji is the Chairman and CEO of one of India's
largest software companies, Wipro. Wikipedia [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azim_Premji] says he was rated the richest man
in India between 1999 to 2005 (and is probably among the top five now).
This impressed me: "Premji is known for his modesty and frugality in spite
of his wealth. He drives a Toyota <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota>
Corolla <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla> and flies economy
class <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_class>, prefers to stay in
company guest houses<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guest_house_%28lodging%29>rather
than luxury
hotels <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel> and even served food on paper
plates at a lunch honouring his son's wedding."

Check it out. Really useful stuff. The educational content on the DVDs, I
mean!

–
[1] Head - Technology for Education, Azim Premji Foundation, #134,
Doddakannelli, Next to Wipro Corporate Office, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore -
560 035 Tel: 91-80-66144900/901/902 (Board)   91-80-66144922 (Direct) Fax:
91-80-66144903 Mobile: 09449820054 www.azimpremjifoundation.org
--
FN * Independent Journalist http://fn.goa-india.org
784 Nr Convent, Saligao 403511 Goa India