[Fsf-friends] The Free Software hardliner, the corporation, and the shotgun wedding

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 04:24:49 IST 2008

We called it Free Software at first. It wasn't until we started
calling it Open Source that the punditry line counts began creeping up
higher than the code line counts. We had this baby and we were proud
of it, and the deep rooted insecurity born of being the ridiculed and
utterly misunderstood underdogs made us require the approval of
business and Grandma Bessie before we could ourselves be satisfied.

Well, now we've got it, and in some ways Open Source is not better off
because of it.

Thanks to the cavorting evangelists in the Ubuntu community who were
converted on the strength of a cheaply-gotten sense of technical
superiority over their peers who still use Windows 98, "Free" is now a
dirty word since it stands so often in the way of converting more
people, faster.

Free Software wasn't originally meant to be a cult with a membership
statistics monkey on its back; the idea was, like, to be "Free."

Full story http://www.linux.com/feature/124564

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
Join The DRM Elimination Crew Now!