[Fsf-friends] [FSUG-Bangalore] List of 'Non GPLv3' softwares in gnu.org

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:20:46 IST 2008

Please avoid cross posting. I think posting to FSUG-Bangalore list is
enough to solve your doubts.

> The common nature of these packages are:
> a) Free Softwares hosted in gnu.org
> b) All are non GPLv3

A lot of packages in your list is licensed (bash, gdbm, libtool, bc
etci didn't checked all)with following Clause

----- is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later
version.

This allows to distribute same package under GPLv2 or on Later Version
(ie GPL v3 for now)

> While we are fighting to make GNU/Linux kernel and other softwares to
> be under GPLv3, why we are forgetting these packages as these packages
> are hosted in gnu.org itself ?

We are not fighting to convert Linux kernel (It is Linux kernel
itself) to GPLv3. Linux Kernel developers are fee to choose their
license. GPLv3 provides them a good option to avoid issues like
Tivoisation . GPLv3 already become a widely adopted Free Software
License.

> I think , it will be better for use to use a page in any of the open
> wikis to track these programs (the above given list is not complete)
> and complete the conversion to GPLv3 on a priority basis for these
> packages.

Most among your list are usable under GPLv3.
we are not in a mision to convert all the Free softwares to a single
license. Free Software always supports Diversity.  Software
Compatibility with Free Software Definition is enough in most cases
Palamida already running a GPLv3 watch Project
at http://gpl3.blogspot.com/ (their GPLv3 Watch site seems to be down)

> Hmm.. I don't think we can do something to a package like ncurses
> which is distributed under MIT License.

MIT License is  GPL-compatible, ie. the GPL permits combination and
redistribution with software that uses the MIT License. at the same
time MIT license  allows reuse within proprietary software on the
condition that the license is distributed with that software,

Anivar Aravind
FSUG-bangalore
http://bangalore.gnu.org.in
--
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.