[Fsf-friends] Use of Windows by some speakers

Maxin John maxinbjohn at rediffmail.com
Tue Dec 16 15:09:17 IST 2008

Hi Kannan,

      Your 'revelation' is indeed very amusing. This simply shows your
arrogance and ignorance about the Free Software movement.

People are free to join a project and move out of it at their own
will. That's based on money or something else, depends on their
'Freedom of choice'.

Though you have the 'Freedom to criticize' the Swathanthra Malayalam
Computing(SMC) for their invaluable contributions to Malayalam
localization (they deserve these blames for doing a lot of good to Malayalam language for nothing ! ), try to understand what they are
doing and if possible contribute something to your language.

Regards,
Maxin B. John

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 Anivar Aravind wrote :
>On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:09 PM, A Kannan. (CUSAT)
><forukannan at yahoo.com> wrote:
><snip>
> >  Take the case of Malayalam localization. These guys did this
When fund got
> > exhausted they shifted  to Space. They will come out with another
initiative
> > when   the government changes.
></snip>
>
>Dear Kannan,
>
>I dont know about your mafia theory . But Why you are taking the
>credit of malayalam Localization from Free Software Community in
>Kerala. Swathanthra Malayalam Computing Initiated by Baiju M in 2001
>did most of the Localisation of GNU/Linux desktops. In between some
>projects like Keltron project you pointed & UNDP supported Project
>through K-BIP also contributed to Localisation of GNU/Linux desktops.
>Still Swathanthra Malayalam Computing(SMC) is the biggest Free
>software developer Community in Kerala, with representations from all
>sectors of society. SMC is completly working in a peer model and not
>accepted any money yet from any agency for its work. Your Ignorance
>about Free Software Community initiatives is ok.. But dont attribute
>the work of free software community to Govt agencies & NGOs
>

> >   If the government had entrusted localization  to a commercial
software
> > company , after inviting tenders and with a condition that the
code
> > developed  is GPL , the task might have been over in a very short
time.
> > The localisation will go on for ever and malayalam will eventually
die.

>Ho..  Tenders for Localisation with a condition "code developed  is
GPL"

>Great!!
>
>All Free Software Projects are  not in same license. If there is
>tender like this. malayalam localisation may be died long back.
>And Localisation is not a Fixed time task to be completed on time.
>There is no finishing point for localisation work. Localisation is a
>continuous cultural process. Those who are in a project/money mode
>thinking cant understand it.
>
>Do you know malayalam is officially supported now in Gnome (2.16
>onwards) and in KDE(4.1 onwards)
>At least 2 distros (Debian and Fedora) can be fully installable in
Malayalam now