[Fsf-friends] Windows in conference

Nagarjuna G nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Sat Dec 13 11:38:48 IST 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 21:57 -0800, Praveen A wrote:
> 2008/12/12 Yaanilan EP <yaanilan at gmail.com>:
> > I think the organizers might have thought that it is their FREEDOM(?!?) to
> > use windows in the conference.
>
> I think this an important point to remember in any Free Software
> conference we are going to organize. We should clearly state the
> speaker should use Free Formats and Free Software for delivery. If he
> cannot meet that requirement, he is simply not qualified to present at
> a Free Software conference.
>
>  It is indeed bad to promote proprietary software in a Free Software
> conference. I believe the said speaker was using his personal laptop.
> In that case we could have offered a Free System for him to present.
>
> It clearly shows how vigilant our community is.

I second your recommendation.  Let us be extra vigilant and also send
this communication to each speaker very CLEARLY in all our future
events, and we should tell them that we will not take it less seriously.
We certainly do not want our forum should be used for promoting
proprietary software.

Nagarjuna