[Fsf-friends] debian software dependency to gnowledge dependencies

Nagarjuna G nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Fri Dec 12 07:14:32 IST 2008

Several of us use Debian GNU/Linux and among other features we have all
appreciated the way Debian software package dependencies are calculated
to give us a stable package.  At gnowledge.org we harvested the data
from the packages.tgz file of Debian 4.0 and created a program that
graphically displays the dependencies, called dependency maps. Search
for your favorite package and see how dependent a software is on other
packages.

Few examples:
http://www.gnowledge.org/debmap_view?objid=python
http://www.gnowledge.org/debmap_view?objid=emacs21

Search for your favorite from:

http://www.gnowledge.org/search_debmap?val=1

One of the main reasons why we are interested in Debian dependency maps
is that we are inspired by that model and now wants to create a similar
knowledge.tgz file for all concepts and activities as gnowledge.org is
in the process of creating a gnowledge distribution.  You will also be
able to see how we are using the idea of Debian for knowledge domain.

gnowledge.org is waiting for all of you to spread the message,
specifically among the teachers of any subject whatsoever to add the
dependency relations so that we can soon have a gnowledge (free
knowledge distribution) distro.

Nagarjuna G
http://www.gnowledge.org