[Fsf-friends] FW: IISC and imposed monopoly rights - add to the debate please

Senthil Sundaram (sensunda) sensunda at cisco.com
Mon Dec 1 11:51:01 IST 2008

Hi,

this is just a temproary space...to get community participation on
material which needs to be added in here..

on one hand we have the issue of 'imposed monopoly rights' - on the
other hand a premier institution is promoting this..

rquest knowledgable memebers in fsf-i to state their position on
this..so that we can build a debate...

-S

http://notoimp.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/imp-policy-in-iisc-bangalore/

harish k singh :

	Can you look at the article at
http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/11/global-patent-troll-comes-to-india.h
tml. The patents subsidized by our belowed govt is now in the hands of
these trolls. Maybe we need to address these issues when the meeting in
IISc happens next month.Incidently, this company's major investor is
none other than microsoft. See
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/05/12/080512fa_fact_gladwell?cur
rentPage=1.

Rehat Venky :

	"Software patents are an important issue in India right now
because there is a heated debate over how to interpret Section 3(k)
which says that, "A mathematical or business method or a computer
programme per se or algorithms are not patentable."

	How "computer programme per se" is interpreted is of vital
importance to the FOSS community. Therefore a talk by RMS on software
patents would be relevant at this point in time and would help raise
awareness of how patents prevent independent invention and restrict the
freedom of software developers."