[Fsf-friends] Another all time great !!!

CK Raju, Thrissur ck.thrissur at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 11:33:13 IST 2008

" I've been studying software projects for a while now. Not the
programming, but the people -- the way they interact with each other
through collaboration and communication. My investigations have always
been visual: I've built applications that create pictures of what is
happening within software projects. But they have always had a rigid
structure to them. Organic information visualization, coined by Ben
Fry, is a different approach to information visualization. It eschews
traditional data confinement in space and lets the elements play
together in freeform and unpredictable ways.

This visualization, called code_swarm, shows the history of commits in
a software project. A commit happens when a developer makes changes to
the code or documents and transfers them into the central project
repository. Both developers and files are represented as moving
elements. When a developer commits a file, it lights up and flies
towards that developer. Files are colored according to their purpose,
such as whether they are source code or a document. If files or
developers have not been active for a while, they will fade away. A
histogram at the bottom keeps a reminder of what has come before."

Pls see and enjoy the action movie at
http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1093745

I recommend it for Free Software Oscar Lifetime Achievement Award.
CK Raju